Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Keegan Ales

I was up at Bard a few weekends ago playing some
Mahler, Britten, and Perle
so I went to Keegan Ales in Kingston
on my way to rehearsal
and picked up a couple growlers.


This is what a growler looks like, for those of you who were wondering.
It can carry a half gallon of fresh beer straight from the tap to your home,
or the park, or rehearsal, or wheresoever-you-choose-to-go.

So, convinced of growler greatness, lets get back to Keegan Ales:

I Wish I could have hung around for awhile;
the pub looks like a great hang.
Tons of space, local art hanging on the walls,
old timey furniture, and stage space for live music.
Also, for this EXCELLENT weather,
a patio area outside.

LOVE IT

After rehearsal we had a little tasting session
with Charles, Mike, Matt, Alana, and Sydney:

Growler the first: Mother's Milk

Mother's Mile is a creamy stout with a little bit of milk and chocolate.
The bartender told me that it's made with coffee (!)
DELICIOUS (though I couldn't really taste the coffee)

Growler the second: Hurricane Kitty

Hurricane Kitty is a very hoppy IPA that is something of a local favorite
though I couldn't really say it was mine.
The problem is that I've been spoiled by Captain Lawrence's Double IPA
which is richly flavored enough that the
hoppyness is present but not overpowering.
(I'm all for some hoppyness!)
Regardless, this Hurricane was certainly GOOD.

Keegan Ales is a place I would enjoy hanging at more,
If only it weren't in Kingston (aka OZ) (aka FAR FAR AWAY from ME).
In a totally stereotypically informed kind of way
(having been to neither place)
Kingston is kind of a mix between Mobile and Detroit.

It's a good thing it has this Brewery.

Cheers,
LR



1 comment: