Thursday, March 25, 2010

Extremely

Last night I survived a performance of Gerald Barry's Sextet
{Can I get a t-shirt please?}

A few unique things about this piece:
  1. Extremely fast tempos
  2. Extremely close canons
  3. Extremely circusey atmosphere
Brandon, Alicia, Evan, Gregory, James,
and conductor (etc.) Thomas Ades

were extremely excellent performance partners

and the process was totally pleasurable

in a lets-conquer-this-piece-of-ridiculousness way.

{one wishes one could string words together to make new words}

{lets just pretend we can}



I just wish I didn't have a minor
aneurysm
while trying to navigate the
multiple-lines-at-once + tiny-intervals-on-marimba + extremely-fast-tempos
sections
{read: difficult}

This is totally a piece I love listening to:
get lost in it's echoes,
visualize the merry-go-round
spinning out of control.


But I'm not sure my blood pressure could stand repeat performances -

not that I'd say no to doing it again;

I'd just have a medical professional on hand.

Afterwards, I had a shot of Jack.


Thanks Jack.

3 comments:

  1. You are gonna be hearing from Molly Yeh's lawyers regarding her center-aligned-blogtext intellectual property ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also multicolored text, also use of { instead of (. latter might be a job for zaza's lawyer :-)

    either way i'm so into it. good use of visuals. good relevance to main subject of blog. keep posting, lest your most recent follower not get upset.

    i hear the sweet sound of money-tizing approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, colors are the world's property. Love the blog though Molly! Keep blogging sweetie-pie! The army of Yeh will be ready to strike soon! Yay for blogging! Toodles!

    Luke, the distilled life is just tintillating. I'm a fan. You're so cute.

    ReplyDelete