Sunday, March 28, 2010

Glass Vibrating

I've spent the last few days working on a wine glass instrument. (My recording session today required some melodies on wine glasses.)

So...

First Step: buy some wine glasses. Cheap, thin walled ones.















Step two: buy a board of wood, some screws, and some nylon tabs (these ones were made for keeping the screen in your screen door.)















C: Tighten nylon tabs around base of stemware. Fill glasses with water to achieve correct pitch. Moisten fingers and play.
















The pitches on the left of the above picture, the ones with a lot of water in them, do not speak very well. If the water level gets past two thirds full the sound becomes muted. I did not experiment with whiskey instead of water, mostly because that would have been incredibly expensive.

All in all it worked well, though the kind of lines one can actually play is extremely limited. (One could almost say non-existent.)

Mission Accomplished! (I feel safe saying that since this phrase is actually devoid of meaning these days.)

Then, after all that, we (the composer and I) decided that bowed crotales would be better sounding anyway. (That's right, I did not end up using this contraption at all.)

So, the moral of the story is: I have many wine glasses and a mount for them. If anyone ever needs such a thing, holla at me.

Cheers,
LR

1 comment:

  1. Haruka spent all day making a plywood mount for some metal rods the other day and then while she was loading gear A CAR RAN OVER IT. [tear]

    ReplyDelete